For more than 30 years, the Summer Academy has provided fun-filled and challenging opportunities for local youth through affordable, convenient, full-time academic/adventure day camps for students entering grades 2-9. Programs are developed and facilitated by the Center for School Improvement & Policy Studies, in the College of Education at Boise State University.
We believe young people benefit most from productive, creative play, especially in the summer. By solving puzzles, inventing and participating in games, and integrating engaging academics with physical activity, the Summer Academy helps young people build the experience, confidence, and interests needed to stay active and successful in school and beyond.
Summer 2018 Program
- All Day, 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Monday – Thursday, June 11 – July 12 (excluding July 4)
- Begin and end each day at Foothills School of Arts & Sciences
Students engage in a fun, active learning curriculum, led by certified classroom teachers and college students, and featuring games and activities for learning math, physical education, arts, and sciences.
- Patterns & Sequences
- 3D Geometry
- Prime Numbers
- Modular Arithmetic
- Math Modeling
- Invented Games
- Neighborhood Games
- Net Games
- Flying Disc Games
- Obstacle Course
Arts & Service
- River clean-up
- School improvements
- STEM outreach
- College readiness
Students embark on daily bicycle adventures that lead to exploring the great outdoors (swimming, hiking, & canoeing), learning about local business (indoor recreation, restaurants, & stores), and developing life skills (teamwork, friendship, goal setting, & character). Students come ready to ride every day with their bicycle, helmet, and bike lock.
- Biking: students use their own bicycle every day for transportation to each of their activity locations.
- Volunteer projects
- Environmental awareness
- Ropes Course
- PAL Raft Along
- Ice Skating
- Online registration for returning students will open mid-February. New student registration will open on or before March 15.
- Space is limited, so please register early.
- Tuition for the 5-week full-time camp is $850 (equal to $4.47 per hour).
- Additional siblings register at a $100 discount.
- Ask for other discount and scholarship opportunities.
About our Founder
Scott Willison (1959-2016) started the Summer Academy in partnership with the Center for School Improvement and Policy Studies in 1985. His energy, creativity, and love for kids were instrumental in designing a fun summer program where kids could build meaningful relationships and have fun learning while in the great outdoors. Scott was all heart and will always be missed.